As any pet owner knows, fleas and ticks are a year-round problem. Not only are they a nuisance, but they can also carry dangerous diseases. Fortunately, there are a number of steps you can take to protect your pet from these pests.
Here are 11 Flea & Tick Prevention Tips:
- Use a flea collar. Flea collars release a small amount of pesticide that helps to kill fleas and ticks on contact. Be sure to follow the package instructions carefully, as some collars are only effective for a certain period of time
- Bathe your pets regularly.
- Brushing will trap the parasites that live under their coats.
- Regularly keep your yard and house clean.
- High grasses and shady areas are ideal breeding grounds for ticks and fleas.
- Rake your yard to remove debris that provides a perfect habitat for these pests.
- Treat your home regularly with an insecticide. Fleas and ticks can often be found in carpeting, upholstered furniture, and bedding.
- Vacuum regularly. Fleas and ticks thrive in dirty environments, so regular vacuuming is essential for keeping them at bay. Be sure to vacuum all carpets, upholstered furniture, and other areas where your pet spends time.
- Keep your pet's environment clean. Regularly vacuum and wash bedding, rugs, and any other areas where your pet spends time. This will help to remove any fleas or ticks that may be present.
- Avoid feeding strays. Not only are they bad for your dog, but they can also attract fleas.
- Use a preventative flea and tick treatment. There are a variety of products on the market, so talk to your veterinarian to find one that is right for your pet.