There are many things you can do to make your dog happy. You may not know it but dogs have needs just like people. From toys, walks, and treats, there are plenty of ways to keep their content. Here are 10 tips for keeping your pup happy!
1. Exercise your dog every day
Dogs need daily exercise, but if they're confined all day long or living in an apartment with minimal space, it can be hard to get them the physical activity they need. If this sounds like your pup's life, try taking him on walks around your neighborhood or playing fetch inside. Alternatively, if you have an outdoor space large enough for running around (like a backyard), consider purchasing some sort of obstacle course for dogs – this way Fido has something fun to do while burning off energy!
2. Give your pup a bath every month with a gentle shampoo and conditioner
When it comes to bathing your pup, you have a number of options. Some people bathe their pups as much as once a month while others bathe them only when they need it. The truth is that no matter how often you bathe your dog, there's one thing everyone agrees on: Make sure the shampoo and conditioner are gentle because dogs' skin is sensitive!
A good rule of thumb is to use something with oatmeal or aloe vera for soothing ingredients that will keep your pup smelling fresh all day long. If you're worried about drying out your pup's skin during winter months, try using a moisturizing shampoo like Clairol Shimmer Lights or Aveeno Baby Wash & Shampoo which will also help keep your pup's skin healthy and keep it from getting irritated.
Bath time can be a great bonding experience for you both, but make sure to keep the water temperature at an appropriate level--too cold could hurt your dog's sensitive paws while too hot might dry out their coat or irritate the skin on their face.
3. Brush your dog's teeth at least once per week for fresher breath and cleaner teeth
Brushing your dog's teeth is important to their dental health. However, it can be difficult and time-consuming to brush a large breed's teeth since they have such long mouths. Be sure to use a toothbrush designed for dogs, like the DentaTreats Large Dog Toothbrush with its extra-soft bristles and a curved handle that makes reaching all those back teeth easy! Brushing your dog's teeth at least once per week will keep them healthy and happy!
4. Provide plenty of exercise opportunities outside of the home for your dog
Have you ever wondered what your dog does all day while they're at home? They might be sleeping, chewing on things, or just barking. Dogs need plenty of exercises to stay healthy and happy!
To make sure that your pup is getting enough physical activity, try these five tips:
- Take them for a walk before bedtime so they have the energy to sleep through the night
- Have them play outside with their friends
- Play fetch in the backyard
- Go hiking
- Make an obstacle course in the house (a few examples from my experience are jumping into a pile of leaves or couch cushions and climbing onto furniture). These activities will not only tire out your pup but also strengthen their bond with you!
5. Feed your dog healthy, well-balanced meals that are tailored for their size and age
As a pet owner, you know how important it is to spoil your pup with healthy meals. But did you know that the size of their meal can depend on what kind of dog they are? If your dog is small, like a Chihuahua or Miniature Pinscher, then they need about 100-200 calories per day. A medium-sized dog, such as a Collie or long haired German Shepherd needs 200-400 calories and for big dogs like Mastiffs or Dobermans, 400-600 calories are needed.
6. Provide a safe place for your pup to sleep, including a bed or crate
Dogs need a place to sleep and it's up to us pet owners to provide a safe, comfortable spot for them. After all, you wouldn't want your pet to get hurt while they are sleeping, would you? There are many ways in which a dog can injure themselves while trying to sleep. For example, if there is something unsafe for them to chew on and they end up breaking their teeth or choking on it. Or maybe the ground is not soft enough and they end up with sore paws from walking around on it all day because no one bothered to give them a cozy place to rest their head at night. You can make this easier by investing in the right bedding for your dog. There are many different types of dog beds on the market, but not all of them will offer your pup the support they need. It's important that you do some research before buying so you can find out what type of material is best for your furry friend.
Here are a few tips to choose the perfect bed for your dog:
- Make sure your pup has a bed that's the right size and is comfortable
- Keep beds away from drafts, vents, or other sources of extreme heat
- Put a blanket on top of their bed to make it cozier
- Give them plenty of toys to play with while they sleep - this will help keep them occupied and less likely to chew up furniture or get into trouble when you're not home
- Place their bed in an area where they won't be able to jump off onto hard surfaces like tile or wood floors - this can lead to injuries if they fall too far
- Consider getting an orthopedic dog mattress for aging pups who are having joint problems; regular mattresses can put too much pressure on old joints and bones which leads to pain and discomfort during sleep time
7. Groom him regularly so that he looks good on the outside too
It can be difficult to keep your dog's fur clean and healthy. But grooming is not only for aesthetics, it also helps in preventing skin problems that are caused by mats, such as hot spots. It can also help prevent excessive shedding which is a common problem with dogs who have long hair coats. After all, nobody wants to be seen with an unkempt pet. But did you know that regular brushing of his coat reduces shedding by up to 90%!
A lot of people think that grooming is only about looking good on the outside; but in reality, it has plenty of health benefits as well! If you want your pup to look great AND feel great, then make sure he gets regular grooming sessions from the best groomer in town. You'll both love the results!
There are many reasons why people choose to groom their pets themselves rather than take them to the groomer or veterinarian for services--either because they don't like leaving their pets alone with strangers, or they're strapped for cash, or both!
Either way, regular grooming helps keep your pet clean and healthy by removing dirt, debris, and excess oils that can lead to skin problems. Grooming also prevents tangles in long hair or mats in short hair. And the best part is you have a chance to bond with him during this special time together!
8. Get veterinary care when they're sick or injured
Dogs are one of the best pets to have. They can make you laugh and they're always there for you when you need them. But just like any other pet, dogs need to get shots from a veterinarian in order to stay healthy. If your dog has been feeling sick lately or is acting oddly, it's important that you take him or her to see a vet as soon as possible so he or she can be checked out and evaluated!
Don't wait until it's too late- make sure your pup gets his/her yearly checkup before anything happens!
Also, it's very important to know when they need veterinary care. That means knowing the signs of illness and injury. If your dog is lethargic or vomiting, not eating or drinking water, has diarrhea, can't walk normally, or is limping - take them in for an exam as soon as possible!
To help you decide whether or not it's time for a trip, here is a list of five common reasons:
- You notice your dog has been scratching and licking themselves excessively in an attempt to relieve some type of discomfort;
- Your pup eats anything they come across including sticks, rocks, and poop;
- Your pet can't seem to stop shaking or exhibiting anxiety or nervous behavior;
- You've noticed changes in bowel movements such as liquid stools or diarrhea with blood present;
- You notice your dog is less energetic and has trouble with walking or standing up.
Your dog may need to come in for an exam as soon as possible if they are exhibiting any of the five common reasons above.
9. Provide fresh water at all times, even if it is just in a bowl that you fill up daily
The next time you're in the grocery store, don't forget to pick up a jug of water for your pet. You'll be surprised how much they will love it! Dogs are unable to drink enough on their own, which can cause a lack of hydration and lead to serious health problems. It's important that their water is clean and fresh. If you have a dog, please make sure to give them plenty of clean drinking water because they need it just like us humans do!
10. Check your pet for fleas and ticks on a regular basis
Let's face it: our dogs are a part of the family. That's why we use products to protect them both indoors and out so that our pets have flea-and-tick-free days just like us!
Fleas and ticks carry diseases that can make life painful for your little furry friend. If an infestation gets out of hand, it could even be fatal for some animals. So don't wait another minute; grab your Flea collar for dogs by DEWEL™ PRO today!
The best way to get rid of those pesky bugs is with this popular natural treatment from DEWEL™ PRO. They kill 98% of fleas within 48 hours and repel new ones from coming near your pet for up to 8 months.
If you want to save money this season while also keeping your pet safe, here are some tips on how to keep them covered:
- Check your pet for fleas and ticks on a regular basis
- Bathe your pet with a shampoo that has the active ingredients pyrethrin or permethrin
- Get rid of any stray animals around your home, as they can carry fleas and ticks inside with them
- Vacuum all carpets in the house regularly to remove eggs from the carpeting
- Use an insecticide spray outside to kill insects before they get into the house
- Keep pets indoors at dawn and dusk when these pests are most active outdoors
- Keep pets out of high-risk areas like wooded areas where they may encounter ticks
- Make sure you follow up by treating your lawn regularly with a product containing permethrin which will control both adult mosquitoes and larvae.
Read more: 8 Solutions to Avoid Fleas in Your Home
We hope these tips will help you keep your dog happy, healthy, and safe. If you have any questions or want to discuss a specific issue with us, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experts here at DEWELPRO. Have any other ideas for keeping your pup content? Share them in the comments below!
Read More: Fleas on Pets: Q&A